[RFC] Possible KView Maintainership

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Oct 25 05:51:21 BST 2005

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Dne pá 21. října 2005 22:48 James Richard Tyrer napsal(a):
>
>>I am considering volunteering to be the maintainer for KView.
>>This would be contingent on my recruiting 5 or 6 new people to work on
>>it with me.  If this would be OK with the main developers, I will go
>>ahead and try to get some recruits.
>

>  Wow ... does any of the image viewers that actually happen to be maintained
> now have at least half of that number of developers?

Sloppy English; my bad.  By, "new people" I meant people that are new to
KDE and don't have experience doing KDE development yet.

> Dne po 24. října 2005 16:17 Matthias Kretz napsal(a):
>
>>On Sunday 23 October 2005 00:14, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>>The current maintainer said that he could no longer maintain it.
>>
>>That'd be me. And that statement is right.

>>>IIUC, all khtmlimage will do is display an image as is at 100% in
>>>Konqueror
>>
>>Right, khtmlimage is the most basic KPart based image viewer that normally
>>does not have enough features. Scaling is a must have for a viewer. On the
>>other hand it does incremental loading which is pretty much impossible with
>>the QImage/KImageIO based approach KView uses.
>
>  Which means the KView KPart is far from ideal too, right?

I believe that incremental loading is a trade off.  Both it and loading
the whole image have good and bad points -- neither is ideal.

>>>The Gwenview maintainer is working on it with the intention of having it
>>>included in KDE.  It has more features than KView.
>>
>>I think there still is a place for KView in the KDE4 world. And having
>>Gwenview (and Showimg, and whatnot), the KView maintainer finally has the
>>possibility to make KView a real viewer.
>

>  But wouldn't it be better for KDE4 if it simply used something that already
> is a real viewer (whatever that is supposed to mean)? Don't get me wrong, but
> KView hasn't seen much activity lately and it shouldn't be that difficult to
> find another image viewer that has surpassed it meanwhile. In fact I find
> Gwenview to be a good replacement for both KView+Kuickshow, and there are
> probably more (IOW I find it very unlikely that KView and Kuickshow stay in
> kdegraphics for KDE4).

When I last looked at Gwenview, it had problems.  I can't get the
current SVN to build so I can't really comment on whether these have
been fixed.

I see a place for a general purpose viewer that has basic features.  I
also think that there would be a place for further development of KView
as a general purpose front end.  These would be two separate projects.

--
JRT