KDE system guard

Mirko Boehm mirko at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 14:54:39 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 15:22, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > I agree here. Maybe it can be integrated with kwin's feature to kill
> > hanging windows.
>
>  No, it can't:
>
> - KWin itself can't create any windows (well, or at least I don't feel like
> trying to complicate my life that way)
>
> - It's a window manager, not a process monitor, and somebody can also use
> some other WM with KDE
>
> - When KWin kills a window it also tries to kill its application if it can
> (which it usually can with modern apps)
I do not want to be a PITA, but...

What you say makes sense, but from the users point of view it is irrelevant -
the user sees two different process managers.

The difference between windows and processes is unclear to the user, he
expects us to kill the process(es) if he kills the window. To me, ksysguard
should be the "advanced view" to the "kill a hanging window" dialog.

The necessity for a process manager should be clear (honestly, if you have
ever used a windows system, who has *never* had to use the task manager to
kill an app?).

--Mirko.
--
KDE e.V.: http://www.kde.org/areas/kde-ev/