Qt4addons module?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed May 25 22:42:17 BST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:01 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 19:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Good idea I'd say.
> > KStringHandler, KSqueezedTextLabel, KColor, KLed come instantly to my
> > mind and there are probably many others too.
>
> KCmdLineArgs would be useful too. And KApplication. And KLibLoader. And
> .... wait.... Why should we create a sub-KDE as part of KDE, when you can
> have it all instead?
That isn't quite what I meant.

I wasn't thinking about a single library that has only a Qt dependency (which
would probably end up being kdecore, all over again). I was thinking more
about a single module containing several stand-alone parts, which are already
compiled to separate .so (as plugins), and which could potentially be useful
independent of KDE, and independent of each other.

> With Qt3 there would have been a reason: to gain Windows portability. But
> with Qt4 this reason disappears. So I don't see the point in a "qt-only
> kdelibs" (I don't even know how to name it... kdelibs *is* qt only in the
> first place...)
I'm thinking more about things like database handlers, image formats, codecs,
rather than about another general support library.

Brad