KDE 4 namespaces

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon May 9 16:32:43 BST 2005

David Faure wrote:
>> Read: the other ioslave-specific classes.
>
>I know, but which are those? I don't think there are any more than those
> two. If I can use nm correctly, those two classes export 121 symbols.
> libkio is about 8137 symbols in total...

True, but there's at least one more: KRemoteEncoding. I had thought there
would be more, but after taking a look at the library, I don't see them.

So separating them would be no gain in performance. But I don't withdraw
my request to properly mark them as ioslave-specific classes.

>Also, note that KIO requires kdeui (for many things), and slaves require
> kio (for KMimeType, UDS stuff, etc.), so you can't remove kdeui from
> the list of dependencies for a kioslave.

The only solution for that would be to split KIO into two libraries: the
UI-side and the non-UI-side. That's also probably not worth the effort,
unless we can somehow move the non-UI stuff into the network library (the
one that links to libQtNetwork) without loss of functionality.

Yes, the Job classes require UI, so that they can show password dialogs,
progress bars, etc.. The question is: can we separate enough the MIME
type stuff from UI?

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."