SVN: change defaults for line endings

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed May 4 15:38:39 BST 2005

> Am Mittwoch 04 Mai 2005 16:08 schrieb Jarosław Staniek:
>
>>The proposed fix is not to help converting local CRLF files to LF on checking
>>in. It's performed automatically. The fix is for getting _proper_ (LF) format
>>on _checking out_ for non-LF system (win32).
>
> Why is LF proper - that's the part I don't understand. Last time I worked under
> it, Windows tools had serious trouble copying with LF

What tool? Notepad? :) msvc, borland etc. have no problems with LF line
endings. If you need to use shell scripts, perl / python scripts, creating
tarballs, patches - all works better with LF.

It's http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32 policy to use
LF files. Working on KDE source files in CRLF mode is not supported, no time
to waste for that to just enable buggy 'Notepad' to work.

The de facto policy is kde code stored in SVN - other code (eg 3rd party apps
using kdelibs) can be in CRLF, IMHO we shouldn't care.

HINT: Unless you are not convinced to do the fix, I noticed I am forced to run
from win32 bash shell:

for f in `svn -R list | dos2unix | grep -v ".*/\$"` ; do
         svn propset svn:eol-style LF "$f"
         rm "$f"
done
svn up

...within a module I am hacking in.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team