Wikipedia and KDEEDU

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Thu Jun 30 09:21:27 BST 2005

On Thursday, 30. June 2005 00:21, Gary Cramblitt wrote:

> Just a few stupid questions.
>
> Is the xml format xhtml or something else?

I was thinking of xml where we (together with the wikipedia-folks) define
everything. Before implementing anything we even need to decide if the
conversion from wikitext (all Wikipedia-contents are stored in that format)
to the other formats will be done serverside or clientside (inside kdelibs, I
guess).

> Does the document include formatting stuff from wikipedia (sidebars,
> headers, etc.), or is it just the article itself?

No, I think it is best if it only includes the content, the information in
which other languages the article is also available and so on but no
wikipedia-specific markup/webpage-items.

> Do hyperlinks within the document refer to external pages on wikipedia,
> non-existent relative pages, or what?

All that needs to be discussed, I guess... I think it would be nice for
applications if the text be be displayed without links. Furthermore it would
be good if the applications could link to both online wikipedia-pages and
offline content as well.
In Kalzium I will have a proofread offline-version of the articles I need from
the Wikipedia. So I will need a setting what a link is doing: Jump to a
offline or online-page.

Carsten