64 bits KDE compil

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 06:52:46 BST 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 11:42, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On 29 June 2005 01:35, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 June 2005 11:06, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > > Does anybody do systematic testing of 64 bits compiles for whole KDE
> > > (extragear included) apart a (very) few linux distros?
> >
> > i used to compile and use just about everything in extragear and kde's
> > main cvs in a 64 bit env up until recently when i quit the office job a
> > couple months ago and lost my 64 bit workstation in the process =( why?
>
> Because it seems to me only distros do this, while 64bit linux/unix
> machines are more and more popular/available. And the distros are lousy at
> this. E.g. the quite nice digikam-image-plugins aren't compiled in 64 bits.
> I thus believe there might be a problem with code portability. Thus, having
> a permanent 64bit compilation assured would be useful.

hrm.. i was using digikam w/plugins (not sure if i had all of them though, as
i can't check, obviously) running quite nicely on the amd64 .. i was quite
impressed with how well everything in KDE tends to work; there was the odd
compile or run time issue, but usually it was pretty good.

i know there are a few other KDE devs who have amd64s as well, because often
by the time i'd go to commit a fix for a build problem someone else already
had ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo