[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Sun Jun 26 16:52:21 BST 2005

Le Dimanche 26 Juin 2005 17:41, Alexander Neundorf a écrit :
> I just wanted to ask the same, how about adding applications:/ to system:/
> ? system:/ right now feels a bit incomplete.
> Now you can do the following starting from system:/
> -browse the local file system
> -browse remote file systems
> -manage the thrash
> -manage the storage devices
> -change settings
>
> IMO missing there:
> -start applications (applications:/)

I'd say "why not", but I'm not sure it's really needed.

> -manage printing (print:/)

Looking in konqy for managing printing looks counter-intuitive to me. Moreover
during printing you have an icon poping in the systray, and you can launch
the kcm using settings:/. I don't see the benefit at all.

> This would make system:/ the place from where you can do everything, only
> using the mouse and konqy.
> Btw. the Finder on OS X also provides something similar to the
> "applications"-ioslave. You select "Applications" from the menu and it
> takes you to the root directory where all the OS X applications bundles
> live. This is the primary way to start applications on OS X which are not
> in the dock.

Hmmm, ok, I see the use case... so why not! :-)

> Since I didn't try the home:/ ioslave yet, I don't understand exactly what
> it does. How would it be possible to reach system:/ from home:/ ? Can you
> please explain a bit more ?

Oh yes, sorry about that!

You can know define a parent URL to a protocol root. And system:/ is defined
as the parent URL for home:/, media:/, trash:/, etc... So using the up button
you end up in system:/.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."