What is a KDE app (was Re: Image viewer for KDE4 (Re: KView for KDE4?))

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Fri Jun 24 10:20:54 BST 2005

Quoting Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch at ttgen.net>:
> On Friday, 3. June 2005 14:27, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > On 3 June 2005 04:47, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > (some people don't even consider extragear apps
> > > to be "real" KDE, e.g. #93611 got reopened only because the person didn't
> > > feel like installing something more than just KDE).
> >
> > This is IMHO a dangerous trend, if it really exists. We can't just state
> > this situation, we need to do something to fix it. Some of the apps in
> > extragear are the best of their kind in Linux realm (and sometimes in whole
> > free computing, windows and macosx included). We have to find a way to
> > correct this view. Promotion? Mentions in all KDE releases? Extragear
> > releases (even for separate apps) with high energy announcements, à la
> > KOffice?
>
> Encourage packagers to include the most popular extragear apps into their KDE
> metapackages, so installing kde would pull in the most relevant extragear
> apps too? I guess this would give them what they expect.
> It's probably more a packaging problem, because those who don't know about
> extragear are rarely the ones who compile their KDE themselves.

How do you decide which packages to include and which not.
That's an impossible decision in my opinion.
Someone might argue to put Amarok into a metapackage. Someone else
might argue that this is wrong, because KDE already has an audio
player that's Good Enough (tm) for the average user.
Someone might say, we must include PwManager into a pim metapackage.
Someone else might call you a fool and say that there already
is KWallet to manage such critical information (passwords, etc...)

--
Greetings, Michael