SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

Maks Orlovich maksim at cs.cornell.edu
Sun Jun 12 15:27:47 BST 2005

On Sunday 12 June 2005 04:30, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Sunday 12 June 2005 01:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > But I diverge. The problem here is that g++ 3.4.x doesn't support
> > visibility and I'm still not sure about 4.0.x's reliability. Those g++
> > 3.4.x that have the visibility feature backported are broken.
>
> Broken in what way?

It does not properly emit static members. In particular, it means you can't
run things like the designer and assistant from Qt4 if built with that
compiler and hidden visibility. (Which Qt4 now disables on those)

RHEL4 might get a fix for this soon, though; I know there is a BR on that in
the gcc repo, too, but I don't remember the number.

> We're using 3.4.x w/ visibility in Ark Linux, and we compiled most of KDE
> with -fvisibility=hidden, so far without problems...

There are also known fundamental issues with the fact that Qt itself doesn't
have proper export macros. It is not clear as to what /actual/ problems it
causes, however; the one known instance has been addressed in our code..
Please see KDE bug #101542