Using kdepim trunk from a different prefix than the rest of kde (3.4)

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Sat Jul 30 21:24:49 BST 2005

Hi guys,
I have kde 3.4 installed from debian packages (all of kde, including kdepim)
into /usr, but I also have kdepim trunk compiled into /opt/kdepim_HEAD.

Now, for one account I don't want the 3.4 binaries, but rather the one
in /opt/kdepim_HEAD. In ~/.kde/env/variables.sh I have

kde_dir=/opt/kde_HEAD
export KDEDIRS=$kde_dir:/usr
export PATH=$kde_dir/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$kde_dir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

which works just fine for everything started from the konsole (and anything
that doesn't have a version installed in /usr).

The problem is that anything started by kde (e.g. started by session
management, or by Alt+F2, or korganizer started by a klick on the korgac
systray item) uses the binary from /usr, but the libraries
from /opt/kdepim_HEAD (which are not binary compatible with 3.4). I guess
this happens because the .desktop files are still taken from the /usr
installation?

How can I make kde start the binaries from /opt/kdepim_HEAD, too?

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna, Austria
email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/