KPrinter::setOrientation disables the orientation group in the setupdlg

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jul 25 19:50:30 BST 2005

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Goffioul Michael wrote:
>
>>> Is there any way around this problem (i.e. set a default
>>> orientation depending on the print style, but let the user later
>>> on still change it)?
>>
>> No. This behavior has been designed that way in cooperation with
>> the koffice developers.
>

> Isn't that mixing two different functionalities: 1) That the
> application should be able to change the printer's default
> orientation and 2) that the application should tell the printer
> dialog that the user can't change the orientation manually.
>
> For KOffice both might be needed, but other applications have other
> needs.
>

>> The idea was to keep a single location where the orientation is set
>> and to avoid mismatch between application-level orientation and
>> kdeprint-level orientation.

Yes, but the KPrint dialog isn't the best place to set it.

> That's fine for applications like koffice, where you have a page
> layout setting. KOrganizer doesn't have this (and doesn't need it
> IMO), and the data is not tailored to a specific orientation. Rather
> the print routines are implemented so that they simply take the
> available rectangle and use that.

This presents a serious usability problem.  If you set Horizontal or
Vertical printing in the KPrint dialog, how are you going to know what
will be printed.  You aren't going to have a page layout setting like a
WordProcessor, but shouldn't the application show what will be printed?

> E.g. in month print style landscape is the default (allows longer
> texts), but sometimes one might also want to print it in portrait,
> because then more events fit into each day's box (actually, I always
> print the month view in portrait). So the user needs to be able to
> select the orientation at some point after the default orientation is
> set.

It appears that what is needed is more like what you would have in a
spreadsheet application where you can select what to print and the print
orientation.

--
JRT