sane defaults

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jan 18 17:22:25 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 17:05, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 22:33, Andreas Scherf wrote:
> > What about the "Up" Button ? I think it should be enabled in File and FTP
> > Mode and disabled in Web Mode ...
> > In File Mode this Button makes sense but maybee not in Web Browsing Mode
>
> It sure does. Lots of websites has a well organized URL structure, where Up
> takes to the index of the current part of the site. And the menu provides a
> fast way up. I for one use the up button quite often when browsing the web.
>
> -anders

Yes, and IMO the main point is, once you get to a filesystem (via an ftp-link
or by entering it directly in the location combo box) without the up-button
there is no way to go one directory up. That's why IMO the up-button
definitely has to stay. Without it we will get bug reports about not being
able to go up in the directory structure.

This wouldn't be the case if we would have a "parent directory" item in the
file views (formerly known as "..").

Bye
Alex