Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Fri Feb 18 15:34:12 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> As long as no-one seriously steps up and says he would document our
> extensions, I see scons extensions as better alternative. And I kind of like
> the aspect of having full power in the Makefile/SconsFile - e.g. compare

[...]

Although I'd prefer to have this flexibility as well one should be fair
and not dismiss one big drawback: other tools like KDevelop won't be able
to reverse engineer the information anymore. I shortly though of offering
the possibility to make the info accessible through a well defined
interface or a dump but this won't work (at least not completely) with
highly dynamic rules that make compilation dependant on the runtime state.
Therefore some simple input format or at least some special tagging
would be important, too.

Harri.