gcc flags for developers

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat Dec 10 00:05:06 GMT 2005

Dne pá 9. prosince 2005 13:08 David Faure napsal(a):
> On Friday 09 December 2005 12:10, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > - Also, full is a VERY bad option, as it disables important WARNINGS.

 Care to elaborate slightly more on this? After checking the gcc manpage, the
only thing I could find was -Wuninitialized, so I guess the manpage is
missing all those important WARNINGS. Not that -Wuninitialized would be that
bad, it can certainly find some problems, but the description is also rather
clear on the fact that it cannot catch many of them, so Valgrind may be in
order in many cases anyway, and this warning alone doesn't look to me like
the reason to enable optimizations by default.

> To update my proposal:
> --enable-debug              would now set -O2 -g -fno-reorder-blocks
> -fno-schedule-insns -fno-inline
> --enable-debug=full      would still set -O0 -g3 for the worse case of a
> hard-to-debug problem (e.g. macros etc.),
>
> In addition we could have
> --enable-debug=noopt for -O1 -g
> for faster compilation if anyone wants it, but nowadays with icecream I
> wait for ld/libtool much more than I wait for gcc so I guess -O2 is fine.

 I do too. At work. But at home I have only one computer and thus no icecream.
And while I probably could buy a couple more just for the fun of it if I saw
the point in it, which I don't, I think there are many people who just can't
and are stuck with whatever they have. I still remember the times when my own
computer was so slow for development that I ssh-ed to a faster university
machine and did almost all KDE development remotely (boy, that sucked, even
though I didn't do that much development at that time). I'm quite sure I
tried to reduce the compile times in any possible way including trying
--disable-debug --disable-warnings.

 I just randomly tried to compile kparts/part.cpp and
kio/kfile/kfiledialog.cpp and adding -O1 increases the compile time by 15%
and 30% respectively for these two cases. Now, please remind me, how much
time is saved by using the old crappy gcc-2.95 compared to something more
recent? And how many people stayed with it anyway (and still do AFAIK)? I
don't doubt that if we include -O1 in the flags some people instead of
gaining one[*] more warning will instead go for --disable-debug and loose
them all. I've seen already many times code that made gcc spew warnings like
if the respective developer had never heard of them at all and I don't think
we should try to increase the number of such people in any way.

 I'd also like to point out that I simply consider it to be a gcc lameness
that -Wuninitialized can't work without -O. It should simply turn on only the
needed flow analysis (there's even no separate switch for that) and not
require full -O.

 Also, WRT debugging not being affected by the change, let me quote a part
from the manpage talking about -g :
===
The shortcuts taken by optimized code may occasionally produce surprising
results: some variables you declared may not exist at all; flow of control
may briefly move where you did not expect it; some statements may not be
executed because they compute constant results or their values were already
at hand; some statements may execute in different places because they were
moved out of loops.
===
I don't think just -O2 -g -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-schedule-insns -fno-inline
will prevent this. E.g. some of this seems to be turned on by -floop-optimize
which is already included in -O1. Moreover, "some variables you declared may
not exist at all" does not only affect debugging itself but also backtraces
and I failed to find the option to turn this off with -O.

 IMHO not really worth -Wuninitialized. If that's the only thing that'd need
-O, it might be simpler if somebody does daily builds with -O -Wuninitialized
and makes the logs available.

 That said, I'm not ultimately against, it's just that I currently don't find
it worth it. Since Dirk is one of the people here who knows the most about
gcc, maybe he could just better explain the reasoning for the change.

[*] Or more, if Dirk can list them.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 KDE Developer