gcc flags for developers

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 9 21:00:46 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 06:10, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Well, did you read the sample kdesvn-buildrc in the light of the recent
> discussion?
>
> it contains lines such as:
>
> configure-flags --enable-debug=full
> cxxflags -g -pipe -march=i686

Well none of that was a hack (i.e. code that calls break_cxxflags_hahaha()),
although they are all inappropriate according to your experience so I will
have them changed.

> Thats wrong on so many levels:
>
> - first of all it shouldn't be cxxflags. we have C code as well

If you want I can add a cflags (or compile-flags and merge the two).  Since -g
and -march will be going away from the default the specific flag itself
becomes less important anyways.

> - hardcoding -march is wrong

OK.  I had actually received a report about this before from a AMD64 user, I
thought I had already removed it but that does not appear to be the case. :(

> - setting -g after --enable-debug=full is plain stupid, because it
> overwrites what --enable-debug=full already did.

Whoops. :)

> - Also, full is a VERY bad option, as it disables important WARNINGS.

Well as you could perhaps surmise from your criticism of -g, all I know about
the workings of --enable-debug=full is that it enables full debug support.
If I had known that it disables warnings I wouldn't have used it.

Although in retrospect I should have caught the -g flag, it's obvious that
--enable-debug would have to use that.

I would also like to second Ingo's request for a set of recommended configure
flags for KDE developers.  i.e., what can we conclude from this thread is the
best set to use for development?

If you would like you can also recommend configure flags for kdesvn-build
users (I default them to full debug in order to help KDE the most) I would
appreciate that as well.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne