Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 02:46:40 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 21:07, David Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 05:41 pm, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > If we want KDE programs to use KDE's file dialog under KDE, and have
> > the same binary use GNOME's while under GNOME, then it probably needs
> > to be out-of-process, because otherwise a program would have to link
> > against both, which would make GNOME a compile-time dependency on
> > KDE, and perhaps you can see why we'd like to avoid that. ;)
>
> So someone will be taking the GNOME file dialog out-of-process as well?
> I'm not a GNOME user, so maybe it already is. But if it isn't, how do
> we convince GNOME to do it for us?

As you kinda pointed out below, we don't necessarily have to...

We could provide a gtk or gnome program (think gdialog) if worse comes to
worse.

> Sorry for being dense, but I still can't figure out why out-of-process
> is necessary unless we expect the desktop to be changing out from
> underneath a running application. If it's not, then why not just use a
> plugin at load time?

Well I can't see why that wouldn't be possible either I suppose, I can solve
every problem I've thought up. ;)

> At a much more basic level, what is the need to make the desktop the
> owner of the file dialog instead of the application? As someone else
> remarked, the Windows file dialog is a step down from KDE's.

That and applications would lose the ability to customize the file dialog.
And if you think Windows's was bad, wait until you see the one in GNOME (any
of them really) =D

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne