Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Thu Aug 18 09:30:54 BST 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 05:52 pm, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 15:56, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > remember on one work system manually moving every shortcut in More out of
>
> You didn't consider changing applications.menu, like most distributions do?

<puts on user hat>What is this applications.menu you speak of?  I clicked on
some application and manually moved them around and then click save.</takes
off hat>

> > If that is true why do we have 10+ items in a menu and then *only* 4 in
> > More
>
> Care to name it?

Graphics and Multimedia.   Hmm not entirely sure what is from kde and what is
from extragear.

> > More? It gets really bad once you install other apps on your system (or
> > heck just gnome) and soon your menu is 40+ all sorted alphabetically with
>
> KDE cannot change desktop entries of non-KDE release apps. Distributors
> can.

Well Debian and ubunto don't and I am pretty sure RedHat doesn't.  And Suse
does there own voodoo of having submenus for each type of application so I
guess they get points.  Like people, distros are lazy and will use whatever
we give them.  To assume that they wont include any apps other then what kde
has would be silly.

-Benjamin Meyer