Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Wed Aug 10 03:42:14 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 12:55 pm, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> > ...wouldn't this lead to a complete rethinking of the KDE module
> > structure, with more stuff belonging to the "core" or platform, but a
> > smaller "official" KDE accompanied by more additional applications (maybe
> > kfax, kruler, lanbrowsing, kiconedit, krdc, krfb, ktalkd, kpf, kdelirc,
> > kdessh ...) ?
>
> Yes, it would lead to split the stuff in at least 3 parts:
>  - the libs, what is now kdelibs
>  - the core, the heart of the desktop, the window manager, plasma and other
> core parts (this needs to be defined, no, stuff like kdcop, kate, .... are
> no part of the core in my eyes) - the apps, which should be moved all to a
> release coupled extragear, some perhaps even to the normal extragear, but
> only on the wish of the maintainer

Interesting problem.   I don't have a solution, so I try to keep out.

I wonder though, is there some way we can use the KDE trademark (does this
exist?) to force the issue a little?   That is we publish a list: these are
the applications that you MUST include if you wish to claim to have KDE (some
release) installed.   You can install less if you want, but you can only
claim to include part of KDE, not the whole thing.

This list could include not just the various core that is already in KDE, but
also things like Aramak and k3b that might want to release separately, yet
still be part of KDE main releases too.

Seems this would fit most people best: disk is cheap, so just install
everything on the KDE list and be done with it, knowing you got plenty of
applications you will never use, but somewhere might be one you don't think
you will use now, but tomorrow becomes critical for something.

Yet it still leaves room for business where you don't want kdegames, and might
want to restrict cd burning and the like.   Not to mention those who consider
a new harddrive several months gross income, and thus need to strip
everything down until it will fit on the limited space they have.

Applications are not restricted on when they release, but we can encourage
them to do a documentation (and critical bug fixes) only release at this
time.   This gives the documentation writers more time to work on those
applications that release well-before the cutoff with not plans on a general
release latter.   Translators can work with the documentation team so that
they can start some applications before the general documentation freeze, and
thus get a jump on some of the push that will come latter.

Just an idea.  I don't know if it can work, but it seems like parts of it at
least could be helpful.