Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Aug 9 18:44:23 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 19:02, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> > > Tell me how that should happen?
> >
> > You file a bugreport. Or someone with a commit bit in the KDE repo fixes
> > the bug straight away. The next release of the application will contain
> > the fix. In short, no difference as to what happens with applications in
> > the released kde modules right now.
>
> The fix is in, yes, but no release with this fix migh ever happen.
>
> > As long as the application resides in a module like extragear in the kde
> > repo, with a common build infrastructure, they are also easily
> > tinderboxable.
> >
> > > You don't get the point
> > > that there are many little apps which are useful, but which have no
> > > that big team like popular apps like k3b or amarok.
> >
> > And what exactly is the point there?
>
> The point is: many small apps have no real maintainer which will make
> releases, atm they get fixed by other people and released with kde, even if
> other people keep in fixing, nobody will do the release. (Just look again
> at famous kfloppy, kruler, ..., yes, all little apps perhaps not even each
> 1 of 100 user needs, but atm they stay alive and have fixes, but I doubt
> you will find release coordinators for such small apps, with the coupled
> extragear like module they would stay alive, until nobody fixes them, then
> they could be dropped)

Yes, very true. I lot of stuff would die I'm afraid.
(Btw. I'm using kruler too)

> It won't be more work for i18n and docs, it won't be more work for the app
> maintainers, it will make life more easy for the packagers like you wanted
> it, where is the problem with that? Applications which need own release
> cycles can move over to extragear, if they want, others would stay in this
> coupled extragear, all fine.
A coupled extragear... which apps should go there ?
Unmaintained ones ? Small ones ? "Unimportant" ones ? Which apps would stay in
the current modules ?
...wouldn't this lead to a complete rethinking of the KDE module structure,
with more stuff belonging to the "core" or platform, but a smaller "official"
KDE accompanied by more additional applications (maybe kfax, kruler,
lanbrowsing, kiconedit, krdc, krfb, ktalkd, kpf, kdelirc, kdessh ...) ?

(I'm too hungry, I'll eat now...)

Bye
Alex