Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Mon Aug 8 15:23:46 BST 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 15:23, Fabian Wolf wrote:
> On Sunday 07 August 2005 20:08, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > KDE releases include too many and non-important, or duplicate, or not
> > best- of-its-kind applications. Maybe we can have a BOF at Akademy about
> > criteria what to ship and how in KDE 4. Now only about changing menu
> > layout of 3.5: ...
>
> There is one thing I don't get about the menus:
>
> PDF Viewer (KPDF)
> PDF VIewer (Adobe Reader)
>
> One would think they belonged in the same submenu. However KPDF is located
> in Graphics while Adobe Reader is in the Office submenu... does not make
> sense to me. Actually I don't think either one of the mentioned menus
> really fits them. Personally I would put them in some utility submenu -
> they are just plain document viewers!

As I learned recently, the Adobe Reader is much more than a plain document
viewer (at least some guy from Adobe went to great lengths to explain that
its much more than a plain viewer). You can for example comment PDFs, work
with forms, use it as a presentation viewer ... However, I agree on the idea
that they should be in the same category. I wouldn't understand why I find a
PDF reader in two different menu locations, too.

--
From the 'Handbook of Corporate Slang':

- to protect prior investment (phrase):
    describes the inability to revert a wrong decision made
    in the past, expresses willingness of throwing
    good money after bad. (q.v. Fiorina, C.)