Spell Checking in KDE4 (KSpell2)

heiko.evermann at gmx.de heiko.evermann at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 23:19:55 BST 2005

Hi Zack, hi everyone,

after reading some code from kspell.cpp, I am a bit astonished.
The code looks as if over several years several people put their hacks in.

The most astonishing point is that the spell checker is called over the
command line and the response will be parsed. This of course leads to some
problems. So that for aspell-0.6 and multibyte encodings we get a further
layer of hacks on top of that.

I am now definitely sure that KSpell needs to be cleaned up for KDE 4:
We will certainly have further changes over time in the spell checkers and
maintaining KSpell is no option. KSpell2 might be one, but still it would
require one plugin for each spell checker backend. hspell is still missing
and would have to be programmed. So enchant would be an option as we would
get all the plugins that we need for free.

My original problem was a lot different: I wanted words that are unknown to be
rendered in red even when the spell checker has no suggestions, but only
knows that the word is wrong. All the code is so complicated that I would
have to spend hours just to find where to twist KSpell.

I would vote for a cut and for a clean new start. So far KSpell has done a
great job in KDE, but I think it is at the end of maintainabily right now.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann