KNewStuff data - ftp?

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Apr 7 20:34:14 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 7. April 2005 20:51 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> > has anyone talked to the owners/admins of the kstuff.org system?
>
> I think a kde global solution using our ftp server + the mirrors would be
> better than again relying on external stuff. What if that goes down? Than a
> whole kde release using the given servers as default will be broken :/

An download balancing script is already in the works, for the poor ones of us
who cannot afford DNS-based load balancing :-)
The question is however not about the download since pushing the data onto
ftp.kde.org is the lesser problem. The question is about the upload which
also needs the ability to run administration scripts, and uploading directly
to ftp.kde.org should be avoided. The concept of a review queue has been
implemented for a reason.
From a financial POV I certainly cannot give the assurance that kstuff.org
will still be alive in the far future, so while I'd like to focus development
and tests there (and handing out CVS accounts is a pleasure for me), the
resulting (stable) projects should be deployed on a KDE host.

This problem has been known for some time, and it (and other things) depend on
getting one more (physical) server for KDE (and afterwards buying some ice
cream for the sysadmins). This problem is going to be resolved soon, from
what I've heard.

For those apps who do not support uploads, a simple web upload will be
possible as well, and integrated with the scripts so no inconsistencies
occur. This is what I'm (supposed to be) doing at the moment.

Josef