[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 20:49:55 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 21:38, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 19:26, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > It is a two-fold pain. Upgrrading
> > (1) forces one to recompile large parts of the system
> > (2) makes development much slower (gcc-2.95 is twice as fast as any
> > gcc-3.x)
>
> Serious question: How many KDE developers are still using gcc-2.95 on
> Linux? And how many are still using it because it compiles faster than
> gcc-3.x?

What about the debians, which always seem to be years behind? Don't forget
that you're not just affecting the developers, but also packagers and users
(sorry, KDE decided that debian sucks donkey nads because of its choice of
gcc, so use TWM). That said, if the bug seemed to affect FBSD (and we sure
haven't noticed, and the test apps don't show it) then I'd be more vocal
about maintaining compiler compatibility.

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot