Fwd: Re: kdelibs/kdecore

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Sep 9 13:46:13 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 02:45, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Zack,
> Having used gcc probably for ages, you seem do not remember/care too
> much issues with linking libraries for win32 world, where symbols are
> hidden by default (not visible by default as e.g. on unix). See this
> thread:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=105154800130902&w=2

Have you read my email at all? I'm sorry if I seem irritated but I
thought I explained it above, I'm really busy right now and the fact
that you try to sarcastically reply without reading my email is a
little frustrating.

This is where we want to go with gcc as well. We want to make every
class hidden by default and export only explicetly specified symbols.

So let me just say one more time KDE_EXPORT and _KDE_EXPORT_ have the
same purpose. Since you don't want to read the gcc bug links I've sent
there's an example at the bottom of
http://www.nedprod.com/programs/gccvisibility.html that should make it
clear.

> Why kdelibs.h? Because there is a simple rule:
>
> Such a file should be added for *EVERY kde cvs module*. And here
> we've got "kdelibs" module. For example there will probably be added
> koffice.h as well for "koffice" module.

Who cares? I'm arguing that the name is very stupid since it's not
kdelibs.h include header. It's just a header setting up export macros.
Name it kdelibs_exports.h or whatever, but something that will not
confuse people first coming to KDE. Especially that you haven't
document that file.

Zack

--
Earth is full. Go home.