New string compare panel applet

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Oct 8 14:14:59 BST 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 15:09, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On October 8, 2004 09:21 am, David Faure wrote:
> > The idea of using "find" in kate solves all those problems,
> > and is more convenient than pasting and editing long strings in a small
> > dialog.
>
> Er (?!?!)
>
> Kate method:
>  Open Kate
>  Wait 0.5-2 seconds for it to start depending on machine
Oops, I meant kwrite, not kate. Starts fast.
Or even kedit if you prefer. Starts even faster.
And if this is "something you do often" as you say, then you start the app only once anyway.

>  Focus source window of first string
>  Copy first string
>  Focus Kate window
>  Paste String
>  Focus source window of first string
>  Copy second string
>  Focus Kate window
>  Paste string
>  Edit->Find
Rather: "Find" first, then paste. (Ctrl+F Ctrl+V)

>  Check case insensitive
>  Hit F3 to see if equal
Rather: hit Return.

> String applet method:
>  Focus source window of first string
>  Copy first string
>  Paste into kicker
>  Focus source window of second string
>  Copy second string
>  Paste into kicker
>  View if equal or not

It's unfair that you have "Focus kate window" before pasting, and not for kicker.
You can arrange your windows so that you don't have to focus kwrite before pasting
into it, just like you can do with kicker. You also need to check your options
in the applet.