KPasswordDialog

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Nov 3 13:43:32 GMT 2004

A few issues have come up recently with KPasswordDialog and, more importantly,
KPasswordEdit.  I think both of these classes need to be deprecated, and
KPasswordDialog rewritten.  Here's why:

1) KLineEdit provides everything that KPasswordDialog does, but better, in
that it allows selection without setting the X selection or clipboard.  (it
makes editting easier, and there is a wishlist for this)
2) It doesn't work properly with UTF-8 passwords  (there is a bug report for
this)
3) KPasswordDialog doesn't seem to be fixable without breaking binary
compatibility or doing messy things

I notice the careful attention to using a char* for storing the password, but
is this really necessary?  I think QString is perfectly acceptable - we have
many other ways people can steal passwords from memory anyway.

The final question is, given all of this, does anyone feel like taking on this
job?  It should be rather straightforward...

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/