Files in kdenonbeta/gadget

Russell Miller rmiller at duskglow.com
Sun May 9 23:09:48 BST 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 16:46, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Sunday 09 May 2004 15:27, Russell Miller wrote:
> > Google is google and KDE is KDE.  Google's caches of these pages do
> > not expose KDE to liability.  KDE hosting them on the server does.
> > Google can take care of themselves.
>
> So what you're saying is that basically there's no answer, we just have
> two standards because people say so.

No, I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that google is responsible for what
google does, and KDE is responsible for what KDE does.  If google has decided
that they can do this legally, and no one's called them on it, then more
power to them.  It's still possible that it could bite them in the posterior
someday.

I suspect that what they do is probably not technically legal, but they've
just managed to get away with it.

There's no double standard if it's illegal in both circumstances.  Google's
just chosen to take the risk.  KDE can't make google's decision for it.  So I
fail to see any double standards.

That said, I don't know for sure if google's circumstances are illegal.  I
actually think they probably are.  But as I said, google can take care of
themselves.

> > > Besides what makes you think that it's not OK to distribute those
> > > files? The copyright is there, they don't influence anything
> > > because they're not used by anything and all search engines are
> > > already distributing them.
> >
> > Sorry, Zack, but I must disagree with you here (not as if anyone
> > cares :). Hosting copyrighted files on a server without a valid
> > license to do so is a cut-and-dried violation, and definitely exposes
> > KDE to liability.
>
> You don't disagree with me on anything you're just stating your opinion,
> which is the same as mine, but doesn't answer any of my questions.

You asked "what makes you think that it's not OK to distribute those files?".
I answered "having copyrighted files on a server without a valid license to
do so is a cut-and-dried violation, and definitely exposes KDE to liability".
In what world does this not answer your question?  Do you want a full legal
opinion with cites to the relevent law and case references?  Sorry, but I'm
not a lawyer.

- --Russell

> Zack

- --

Russell Miller - rmiller at duskglow.com - Somewhere near Sioux City, IA.
Youth cannot know age, but age is guilty if it forgets youth
    - Professor Dumbledore