kimgio + kfile-plugin for SGI images (*.rgb, *.rgba, *.bw, *.sgi) [which mimetype?]

Tom Badran tb100 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 23:23:36 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 09 Mar 2004 17:46, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Waldo Bastian -- Tuesday 09 March 2004 18:44:
> > * On Tue March 9 2004 16:06, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > > But what if someone sends me an attachment that
> > > is classified as "image/x-sgi-rgba"? Will this be a problem?
> >
> > A bit, but we can add an alias for that when it appears that these
> > mimetypes are indeed in actual use. I don't think they are.
>
> OK. Thanks for your replies. I've considered your advice on mimetypes as
> permission to commit. :-)  I'll do some more cleanup, add another
> compression algorithm and add support for obscure SGI formats
> (one-dimensional images!?) as I run into them. But for 99.9% percent of all
> SGI images (a.k.a. RGB images) everything should work already. Committed.

Also, the GiMP provides what it calls 'aggresive rle' or something for higher
levels of compression. As far as i can tell this is simply just re using
compressed scanlines in the scanline table if they match (greyscale and the
like), so if you implement the spec properly it should just work, but it may
be worth checking you code against this.

Also, how are you providing support for 16bpc images, i use these a lot and it
would be cool to have them in kde. I have code that can read them (not as a
kimgio plugin), but afaik there is no way to support high colour depths in
kde/qt.

Tom