KServiceGroup question

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jul 23 09:58:37 BST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 03:58, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> I copied kde-settings.directory and kde-settings.menu file and renamed them
> to kde-test.directory and kde-test.menu.
>
> In the kde-test.directory file I change X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings to =test
>
> and installed them in the same place (in debian) where the kde-settings
> files where installed.
>
> kde-test.directory -> /usr/share/desktop-directories/
> kde-test.menu -> /etc/xdg/menus/
>
> I ran kbuildsycoca to regenerate the files/cache

You must include kde-test.menu in applications.menu somehow.

For kde-settings.menu this happens as follows:
* applications.menu contains <DefaultMergeDirs/> which includes all files from
menus/applications-merged/
* menus/applications-merged/ contains kde-essential.menu which
includes kde-settings.menu, kde-information.menu and kde-screensavers.menu

You can use kbuildsycoca --menutest to check your menu. You will see that your
test menu doesn't appear in it, and as a consequence KServiceGroup will not
find it.

To get your kde-test.menu working I suggest you take kde-essential.menu as
template and turn it into a new file like:

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>
        <!-- The following menus are hidden by default -->
        <Menu>
                <Name>Test</Name>
                <Directory>kde-test.directory</Directory>
                <MergeFile>../kde-settings.menu</MergeFile>
        </Menu>
</Menu>

Now replace the <MergeFile>...</MergeFile> with the contents of your
kde-test.menu, leaving out the <!DOCTYPE ...>, the first <Menu> and the last
</Menu> tag.

If you install this file under menus/applications-merged it will get picked
up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Waldo