Tons of questions. And some patches

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Jan 25 14:55:44 GMT 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 21:07, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2004 15:27, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Below is a pile of questions and tiny patches. If it was a bad idea
> > grouping it all in one mail I will split it up in smaller ones(or some
> > other better way).
> >
> > * AFAICT there is clear advantages of having desktop files in a XML
> > format. Why is it not so? Speed issues?
>
> At least partly, yes.
> When starting a kde app a whole bunch of desktop files is read (I think it
> was something around 10 or so, maybe even more)
> The desktop file reading in kde is highly optimized, xml will be slower.

AFAIK: If you launch an app by clicking on it's .desktop file, that desktop
file will be parsed, with appropriate actions. But all other lookups, as well
as if you start it from the KMenu, are done via the ksycoca database and
that's explains why it's so fast as well as why .desktop files very seldom
needs to be parsed.. The actual parsing only happens when ksycoca updates its
db or when a .desktop file is ("explicitly") run. Well, I really don't know
how this works. Is this voodoo documented somewhere?
And if that's the case, the "runtime" speed impact would not be noticeble,
AFAICT. In either case, is it really a big deal between parsing an xml file
and a .desktop file?

			Frans