KDE Integration mailing-list and module

Roberto Selbach Teixeira roberto at kde.org
Mon Jan 19 12:25:48 GMT 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 09:25, Leo Savernik wrote:
> It makes me think if KDE delivers the best possible integration of
> Gtk/Gnome apps, what is the competitive edge for developers to develop KDE
> applications any more? If you can reach both DEs with writing a Gtk/Gnome
> applications, but only one DE with Qt/KDE, you can bet what happens in the
> future. Think commercial vendors.

That's a lame point. What if Gnome gets adopted as default by all major linux
distributors (Redhat, Novell/SuSE...)? If a gnome/gtk app doesn't integrate
very well inside of KDE, then what is the competitive edge to deploy the K
Desktop any more?

Personally I feel having good integration with non-KDE apps gives us more
value. It's part of being a desktop environment. Think of the enterprise
environment; they will most often than not need to mix different applications
from different vendors developed with different APIs/frameworks. KDE will
never be able to offer everything users will ever need to use, so if we can
make sure that non-KDE apps work well in our desktop environment we'll better
serve our users.

	Roberto.

--
roberto at conectiva.com | http://www.conectiva.com.br | Seja livre, user Linux