Regarding kpdf

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 03:41:53 GMT 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 08:09, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On January 02, 2004 1:15 am, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > > Hold on. We release betas to discover bugs, and then those betas
> > > discover bugs, we remove the applications?
> >
> > Well, it was moved in under the assumption that it would shape up a bit
> > -- so  far it seems that the general feeling is that it's not there yet.
> > This is not something that is logically connected with betas, nor is
> > there some concrete rule book for such things.  If there's a general
> > concensus that it shouldn't be released as is (this isn't yet clear) then
> > we won't -- simple as that...
>
> I have never had a major problem with KPDF (certainly, not any more than I
> have had with KGhostView, which is also really painfull at times), and I
> really like the functionality it gives for PDF docs over KGhostView, aside
> from the obvious speedup.
>
> I just don't think it should be pulled because of some relatively rare bugs
> (at least, seem rare from here).

   Rare includes everyone not on the typical x86 Linux configuration?  It
failed everywhere else that I had tried so far, and even on x86 it used 100%
cpu and ram on some input files.  KDE is not a GUI for x86-Linux only.  If it
were, we could very easily throw out lots of code.

   Thankfully the latest commits seem to have fixed things up quite nicely.
My latest tests all pass, and it works on powerpc now.  I guess some good
came of this after all!

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/