XServer memory usage: xrestop

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jan 2 18:48:01 GMT 2004

Dne po 29. prosince 2003 15:34 Rolf Magnus napsal(a):
> On Monday 29 December 2003 12:38, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > KDE apps in general seem to use a lot of graphic contexts and a lot of
> > "wins". Is this a actually a problem ?
> > If yes, how can this be improved ? Or is it all deep inside Qt ?
> > konqy uses some of pixmap memory, xmms uses much more, OOo writer seems
> > to use less. I guess the pixmap memory s used for the icons ?
>
> I am wondering how much memory could be saved by loading common icons and
> style pixmaps not in every process, but rather in a pixmap server and then
> transferring the pixmap id to the programs that need them. The actual
> pixmap would be needed only once in the pixmap server, and not in every
> program. I think someone (Waldo?) already tried doing that, but for
> improving startup speed by saving all the icon loading, but I think it was
> too slow in the end due to IPC or something.

 It was me. And it wasn't slow, in fact IIRC it was a bit faster that what we
have now with on-demand icon loading. The problem with it was that it was too
... scary. And when I in the end got the simple and elegant idea of on-demand
trying to solve, it didn't seem worth the trouble anymore. I don't remember
the numbers anymore, but I think currently the iconserver would bring at most
5% improvement. I should still have the sources somewhere, I could have a
look again after 3.2.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 KDE Developer