even more KProcess (Re: Ouch?)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Feb 20 03:05:16 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:02:52AM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Am I the only one who finds this enum definition curious?
>
>   enum Communication {
>        NoCommunication = 0,
>        Stdin = 1, Stdout = 2, Stderr = 4,
>        AllOutput = 6, All = 7,
>        NoRead
>   };
>
> This only works by pure luck,

that's not luck, but design. :)  not mine, btw. ;))))

> since All ensures NoRead = 8, keeping the bit flag nature of the enum
> intact.

yup.

> Maybe we should make the NoRead=8 explicit? :)

you can. but i plan to nuke NoRead in kde4 anyway and replace it with
something proper (that does not try to circumvent the design rule of
slots not returning anything). that needs some thought; i'm not sure a
proper callback (that is, a virtual) does not cause too much
inconvenience.

btw, i'm pondering with the idea of merging KProcIO into KProcess and
adding a Buffered flag to disable it. given the repeated questions on
the lists, this looks like a natural step to me.

greetings