Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Feb 13 10:55:20 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 11:38, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:15:50AM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > This looks interesting. Parsing .ui files seems to be a bit limiting
> > though.
>
> "Promote use of .ui files" was one of my motives (I had a few other ideas
> for programs which take advantage of .ui files being easy to parse).

Using Qt designer and ui files is nice for some purposes, but I don't think we
should make this the exclusive or even preferred way of creating GUIs for
KDE. Choice is good and there are many reasons not to use ui files.

> > What about doing this at run-time of the application? You could parse the
> > QObject tree of a dialog and extract the WhatsThis texts from there. It
> > could also be used to create screenshots,
>
> Hmm, yes (why does the idea sound remotely familiar to me, did you suggest
> it some time ago already?), I bet one could even do that in kdelibs. Maybe
> a "dumpSkeletonDocbook" method or so.

I probably mentioned it already. This idea is spooking around in my head (is
that understandable in english?) for at least two years now.

> > where the WhatsThis texts are connected to the associated widgets by an
> > arrow or something like that.
>
> This could be tricky, I'm not sure how to do it right now, it seems like
> hairy work.

Yes, that's probably only be a nice-to-have feature (though it might be a very
cool feature if done right).