default resolution of kde?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Dec 30 23:39:40 GMT 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 00:18, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> ביום שישי, 31 בדצמבר 2004, 01:14, נכתב על ידי Adriaan de Groot:
> > Don't forget the huge impact fonts have here; how default is Diego's
> > sense of "default"? I think if a clean start after rm -rf .kde (er,
> > $KDEHOME), through KPresonalizer [1] yields settings such that a
> > particular dialog is "Too Big(tm)", _then_ we can worry. Otherwise, stop
> > setting your fonts to 14pt default (like I do, and which causes me to
> > bitch about KDEPIM components being ugly).
>
> What if my fonts are in hebrew? I mean do you expect them to be the same
> size as Latin ones?

Well, there's another point of contention. Suppose, for a moment, that the
Russian word for "Icon" was шузподрацутица (sorry, I don't have xkb set up
for Hebrew right now, and I'd be too long over typing "thingy thingy boqer,
yom al khamis" anyway). This means that dialogs that look fine in English
look funny in Russian when they use the word Icon in an otherwise narrow
column. Do we design stuff so it fits in the given default size for every
possible translation?

We had this problem in KPilot in the dutch translation, which made icon mode
ridiculous because the caption "ToDo List" got translated into a 40 letter
word; there's not much you can do in terms of layout there. We solved it by
translating it in a briefer fashion.

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot