brain-dead leveling (was: Re: KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS))

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Dec 21 02:44:44 GMT 2004

Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2004 01:52 schrieb Benjamin Meyer:

> configs.  You can't do all at once, but you can do them one at a time.  And
> if you want users to really think there is a common Linux desktop, support
> a common widget theme and icon set today.

No, it will just add another iconset among other existing ones.
For KDE as a project itself I'd consider such an action even very very
_harmful_ as it would delete its branding instantly.
Whatever organization will promote Linux as a desktop *will* definately
replace the design with their respective own branding material anyways (which
also includes styles and iconthemes). In this regard Linux will _never_
promote a single branding (i.e. icontheme, style etc.) exclusively. You
_will_ always have the different distributions and projects have their own
branding.

I support interoperability that makes it easier for the user to integrate
applications from other desktop environments. But I strongly condemn any
measures which:

A) replace KDE technology advancements by significantly inferior technology
just for the sake of brain-dead leveling.
B) erase KDE branding just for the sake of brain-dead leveling. KDE-specific
branding makes it easier to promote KDE as an independent project with its
own development paradigms and philosophies.
C) introduce obstacles that keep KDE development from the most effective way
to create significant innovative technologies and thereby a better user
experience just to "wait" for other projects (e.g. to reinvent the wheel in
the name of negligible advantages) and just for the sake of brain-dead
leveling.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn