What Sound System for KDE 4

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Aug 14 11:18:24 BST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 01:02, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2004 23:44, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > As I see it there are two seperate issues: The standard system for
> > audio-playback, and a whole multimedia-framework, kdelibs only needs to
> > depend on the first! As it is looks, the wisest move would be to define
> > an audio-interface in kdelibs, and let various backends provide plugins
> > for it.
>
> That's what I was thinking for quite some time now. Of course it's not an
> easy task at all. We don't want to invent a new media-framework but as soon
> as you start on abstracting other frameworks into one interface you almost
> start doing that and get tempted to do it all by yourself far too easily.

On the contrary I expect it to be quite simple, it I also expect I am one of
those who will have to make it happen.

The interface will need a few basic features and the rest will have to be
configured by KCM-modules provided by the backends themselves.

I expect something like:
* Open file.
* Open decoder on file (also reports if the framework can't handle that
filetype)
* Open output-device
* Open player that connects decoder to output-device
* press play (or seek, pause and halt also provided by the player).

`Allan