ANNOUNCE: HEAD is open for development again

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Fri Aug 13 22:37:20 BST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 2:34 pm, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> KDE really should avoid relying on 'the kernel' for anything more than the
> most basic i/o. Using ALSA directly certainly is not an option unless KDE4
> is supposed to support sound on Linux only. The choice of an eventual arts
> replacement needs to be made with portability in mind as well.

That's not what I meant, but what I wrote wasn't very well done.

Let me try again:
Ideally 90% of our users (Linux) would get their audio mixed by the kernel (so
they'd get the lower cpu usage, less latency, and compatibility with other
apps).  The other 10% would get some stupid soundserver to do the mixing.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
 Don't change horsemen in the middle of an apocalypse!