Session mismanagement

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 13:25:06 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 04:40 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 08:14, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > 	Me and my 798 session files would like to know whats going on here...
> > This came to head when I was trying to figure out why randomly gimp would
> > start a few instances every time i logged in.  Well I decided I would
> > remove it from my session directory, since it usually gets filled up over
> > a few weeks.... Well in the last 3 weeks I have generated 798 files in
> > there. A few KSirc, a whole mess of konsoles (none actually appear at
> > login), 648 konqis, and about 3 kwalletmanagers.
> >
> > 	Now is this normal?
>
>  Not really, but it's not surprising either. It usually happens when you
> don't exit KDE cleanly. Does it happen for you also when cleanly exiting
> KDE? That'd be a bug somewhere in ksmserver then. But I just logged in and
> out a few times, and the only files in the directory are from the last
> session.

Well most of the time I have to log out maby 4 or 5 times before it goes.  If
you have an app wishing to save something, or kate thinking a file is
modified, the  logout process "forgets" that it was logging out.  Also if
applicaitons like ksirc, and kweather when its loaded as an appletproxy can
cause the session to "forget" it was really logging out.

> >  Does anyone acutally use session management?
>
>  Are you kiding?
Actually no, since ive had this issue since KDE 2, i figured it was a rarely
used thing.  Hence why I posted here.  There are a ton of  options in KDE
that i use, that i think im sometimes the only one :)

> > Should we maby provide a way to clean things up?
> >
> > Any ideas would be nice.
>
>  I think ksmserver should know about all session files that are still
> important, as it's ksmserver who removes the no longer used files. If you
> file a report at b.k.o, I might have a look somewhen, but I don't consider
> this that important.
Like i said this has been arround for ever, its just been more extreme.    One
thing i think agrivates it is the "oh you changed the font/style/color, i am
going to crash a random konqi, or two" bug, and if you have open documents
via kio, that take a while to upload.  KSirc has agrivated this in the past,
as well as noatun and non-KDE applications being open that do socket activity
such as PSI.  Also a client of mines application Icepak if running when kde
exits, will almost always restart two instances when restarted.

(ill copy this part in the kde bug, since this has been my notes on why and
how this happens)

If its not important I can file a bug and ignore it for a while, its just
"session managemnt" is one of those things that seems to be a nice thing if
it worked.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown