KDE Jabber Server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Sep 8 00:44:52 BST 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 04:12:41PM -0400, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> I think there is no reason to use a different domain for KDE developers.
> Jabber is a bit broken in that aspect, it used to use MX records to point a
> Jabber server machine from a domain, so kde.org could add a 3rd party hosted
> Jabber server to kde.org MX records and we are set, but the spec is
> confusing, apparently Jabber now uses SRV record, and clients doesn't follow
> the protocol, so if you connect to kde.org they will try to connect to the
> kde.org machine instead of looking up MX records or SRV records.

Right. In general, servers use SRV records to go on, much like the one for
raging.dropbear.id.au.

> (Daniel can you help us with this, you seem to understand very well the
> current spec and how clients support it)

Client support is another matter altogether. Clients like Psi (not sure if
Kopete ever got it or not) support authenticating as one JID, but connecting
to another server (e.g, connecting to bovine.artificial-stupidity.net, but
authenticating as daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au). Most clients just go on the A
or MX records for that domain, however. If your client doesn't support an
alternate server, it really should.

Yes, I agree with this. But why not a subdomain? dstone at kde.org, versus
moocow at users.kde.org?

--