Home folder? - Revisionism

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at virgilio.it
Sat Oct 25 10:38:35 BST 2003

On Saturday 25 October 2003 00:15, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2003 12:38, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > Why? When "Home Directory" sounded OK????? If you're writing a UI guide
> > and you're telling a user to browse into a folder, whats wrong with
> > "browse into your Home Folder". As I said *all* others are called
> > "folder"...
>
> do the google test:
>
> "home directory": 8630000
> "home folder": 57300
>
> so we replace the term 99% of the people use with a term that is used in
> far less than 1% of the cases.
>
> Great job, guys. Really. Insanity at its best.

And look at this one, it reminds me of 1984:

-Each UNIX user has a so-called Home directory in which his or her
+Each UNIX user has a so-called Home folder in which his or her
 files as well as user-dependent configuration files are saved. If you
-work in a Konsole window, you can easily change to your home directory
+work in a Konsole window, you can easily change to your home folder
 by entering the <b>cd</b> command without any parameters.

Now, I don't think we are making a service to our users to hide completely
the fact that directory and folder are synonyms.

Had the paragraph been reworded as
"Each UNIX user has a so-called Home directory, a folder in which..."

I would not complain. This is a tip, it is supposed to be a bit more in-depth
than the normal GUI. And since UNIX common name for a directory is,
oddly enough, 'directory', the paragraph is simply wrong, and should be
reworded.

And if the user is supposed to work in a Konsole window, I think the sooner
she makes the association directory<->folder, the better.

Luciano