Kicker performance: KIconEffect :: visualActivate( ... );

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Oct 22 13:12:55 BST 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 13:52, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> We have async dcop calls now, so it should be possible to make krun async and
> do the visual effect after activation.
>
> The bad part is that all of our zillion KRun::run functions return pid so we
> either need to add a flag to them to say that we don't care about the pid, or
> make a new set of KRun::runAsync functions.

I'm not exactly sure which parts you want to parallelize here.
The actual KRun code itself should be rather fast.
Is it KProcess::start() that's taking a long time? Hmm I guess so, it has
to locate the binary and execute it, before knowing the pid...

An option flag for those who don't care about the pid would be the best solution
indeed. Then KProcessRunner could use a single-shot timer to call a method
doing process_->start().

The overloads are going to be messy indeed - good thing we'll be able to
clean all this up for KDE-4 :)