"Folder" or "Directory"?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 14:51:17 BST 2003

> > Why? Files are represented as pictures of paper (with an icon)
>
> Which btw. doesn't make so much sense in German, where they are called
> "Datei", which is not the german word for file, but a new word (well, new
> as
> in "didn't exist before computers did").

Fair enough! I can only speak from my english-speaking background - my
familiarity of other languages is sadly lacking. But his is *how* the icons a re
*currently* represented.

> > - and folders often have paper inside.
>
> Well, but what about e.g. mp3 files? Their icon does not show a piece of

It *does* the paper has an icon of a speaker over it.

> > The fact is that *most* OS's use the term "Folder".
>
> Which ones?

lready mentioned - Windows (OK, maybe no the best example - but the most
well used), Mac OSX (supposedly a very user-friendly OS), Atari TOS... The point
being that we *show* a picture of a folder - and other OS's do *use* this
term.

> > folder. Doesn't the fact that konqueror has the option to create a new
> > directory, and then uses a "folder" to represent this, not seem silly?
>
> Maybe. But maybe the icon should be changed then instead of the name.

And I'd be fine with that. The problem is how do you pictorialy represent a
directory?

Craig.