Common string encryption

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 20 09:23:25 BST 2003

Michael Goffioul wrote:
>Is there a string encryption mechanism available in kdelibs. I want
>to store a password in a config file (upon request from the user, like
>in kmail), but I want to avoid to store it in clear form. A basic
>encryption would increase security a little bit. If if doesn't exist,
>this could be an addition to KStringHandler class. What do you think?

If you can use a one-way encryption or hash, it would be best, since the
original password could not be retrieved from the written data. If you really
need to store a password, then I'd suggest waiting a couple of months to see
how far along KWallet comes.

I don't think this is the time to start writing encryption stuff into the core
libraries if we are going to have an engine to handle passwords efficiently
in the near future.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358