[Patch] #29984 Change file permission using octal numbers

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Thu May 15 23:05:45 BST 2003

Le Jeudi 15 Mai 2003 18:39, Karl-Heinz Zimmer a écrit :
> Did I understand this correctly?
>
> *  user selects the permissions my mouse click --> octal number changes
>
> *  user changes octal number --> visual permissions change accordingly
>

> If that's what you have done, I like it: this would lead to the user
> understand what each of the bits means and how the octal code can be
> used to quickly set permissions.

I fully agree with you, that's elegant and informative.
Actually, I think this is one of those cases where adding a bit of information
make things a lot simpler to understand for Joe User.
Kind of like the difference between a lift and mechanical stairs: they share
the same ease of use, but in the latter you know better 8)

G.