MEta-data in Konqueror file tooltips

Daniel Stone dstone at kde.org
Sat May 3 15:23:50 BST 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:20:41PM +0200, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 03 May 2003 14:36, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > Now, with all the above in mind: would there be ways to make previews and
> > meta data be available more clever and also work over the network, but ONLY
> > if the network is considered "fast enough" ?
>
> Yes, but not automatically - the routers will not tell you how much bandwidth
> each connection has (and even less how much is currently unused). I once
> thought about a SLP-based system for announcing the bandwidth between
> networks, because Desktop Sharing has a similar problem: for the optimal
> settings the client needs to know the available bandwidth at startup. But
> unless the routers support this the administrator has to do it manually,
> which isnt a trivial task in larger networks. And I guess there are better
> ways to spend programming time than solving this problem... for example a
> better way for announcing the network shares.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't solve the cost-of-bandwidth problem,
nor does it account for stuff like packet loss, or connection
availablity, or different routes (for about a month, it was pot luck
whether your packet incurred 10ms or >5500ms latency over the
ISP->backbone uplink, with Mum's ISP). :(

Seems like it's in the same basket as focus-follows-mind.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone at kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org