Konqueror depends on Kate

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 00:00:37 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 18:51, George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 13:41, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:54:51PM -0500, George Staikos wrote:
> > >    Is there really a good reason why konqueror now depends on kate?  I
> > > don't think this is reasonable.  However KMultiTabBar apparently is
> > > inside kate and depended on by konqueror.
> >
> > It's a build time dependency only (due to static linkage). Why is it
> > a problem?
>
>   Oh well that's good.  Still, it makes me build kate when I don't
> want/need it.

It means that you cannot compile one application independent of another when
you need to.  For example, while I was working on a bug in Konqueror a few
days ago it was unable to build it because of a change in this widget that
broke the static linkage. I had no idea where to look for this. My first
inclination was to check kdelibs, but I did not find it there.  It is sheer
luck/laziness that forced me to search kdebase and find this dependency on
kate/lib! The last thing I would want to do when attempting to fix bugs in
Konqueror is compile the entire kdebase package along with the sometimes
necessary recompile of kdelibs and libkonq.  It would have taken several
hours on my machine :(

Anyways, I guess my point is this is more than an inconvenience unless the
dependency is well known/understood by all.

Regards,
Dawit A.