startkde script modification question

Malte Starostik malte at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 07:00:28 GMT 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 07:47, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday January 15, 2003 01:47, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Before using gpg, you need to start gpg-agent:
> >
> > eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> >

> > (gpg-agent outputs a little shell script that sets the environment
> > variable GNUPG_AGENT_INFO). You may want to add this to your ~/.xsession
> > or startkde so that all programs see the environment variable.
> >
> > My question is, could we implement this in the startkde script as a
> > default test for KDE startup or do the packagers require to do that or
> > leave this totally up to the user ? I think we could add this there to
> > make sure kmail works with the plugins correctly, because many fails
> > will be the result of not having everything properly configured and
> > started up.
>
> Implement it with KControl, like aRts does.  artsd is started with kcminit.
>
> This way, you can have the gpg stuff GUI-configurable, instead of relying
> on shell scripts and environment variables alone for user control.

I like this idea. It would also be nice to be able to restart gpg-agent from
there.
BTW, is there a way to restart gpg-agent while KMail is running and have KMail
use the new instance? Sometimes I keep getting "No passphrase" error boxes
until restarting the agent. This includes pinentry crashes (sometimes the
dialog appears for a moment and dies right away), but also after having
cancelled pinentry.
BTW 2, shouldn't KMail just not send/close-and-save the message when the user
cancelled pinentry, without the error box? Somehow it doesn't seem right to
me to answer a cancel request with an error message.

-Malte